What are you doing right now? When you close your eyes, do you see yourself happy and fulfilled - doing something other than what you are doing right now? If so, grab a pen. Let’s stop procrastinating and get to the bottom of what’s holding you back.
Try the following steps:
- Write a list of ideal jobs you would want to have before you retire. Here's a hint... What would you do for free?
- Determine a common thread. If the jobs on your list have commonalities, don't ignore the patterns. If it does not reflect what you are currently doing in some capacity, it could be time for a career change. Here's a word to the wise... Don't try to make your current job fit in the pattern because you are afraid to switch career paths.
- Determine if you will need additional education. Formal education is not always necessary to make a midlife shift. Sometimes getting a mentor or coach can be equally as helpful as returning to school for college degree.
- Create an action plan. Set a timeframe for action. It will create anticipation and passion. This will provide you with an emotional boost in other areas of your life as well because you will be one step closer to living on purpose. Don't be surprised if your special someone wants to spend more time with you too. There is something very attractive about a person who is happy and positive. Waking up to a job you love everyday will provide you with a glow that attracts other people. Staying in a job you are no longer called to will result in depression or complacency which is not attractive. Setting in stone an action plan, may help you in more ways than one.
- Pray and meditate. Focus on what you find within yourself as you seek spiritual direction regarding your career path. The spiritual disciplines of prayer and mediation reveal and seal the truth inside of you. For instance, I meditate on Psalm 37:4-6 for support. It helps me to remember that my life is not my own, and although I am responsible for the decisions I make, God will help me if I commit my plans to Him. This practice led me to the peace and purpose I have today. I have created and executed the action plan He gave me for my life, and I am happier and more fulfilled than I have been in years. #truth
Success and love to each of you!